Monday, July 16, 2007

WWJD

I’m going through another phase, as I often do. It's a phase in my thinking, one that I will think will change my life forever- once I figure it out. But I said that last week about about a diet program I saw on TV. Anyways, this current life-changing phase revolves around these two suffixes: –ish and –less.

When placed behind the word self, two new words are created that have very different meanings. Due to my Sunday School teachings and various after school specials, I learned that selfish = bad, while selfless = good. I mean, let’s face it. Jesus was the epitome of self-less: went through hell, was tortured and crucified for the world, etc. And we’re all supposed to try to be like him, right? Isn’t that what it means when it says, “Deny yourself, pick up your cross and follow Jesus?”

I heard a lot of stuff about selfish vs. selfless. Selfless people were always revered on Sunday mornings at church. There would be a slide presentation about the Walsh family in Peru who were living amongst the aborigines who would daily threaten the Walsh children’s lives by putting deadly snakes in their cribs and dragging them down to the river to be eaten by the crocodiles. And yet the Walsh family continued to be of service to the Lord and to the Tichian tribe of Peru by spreading the good gospel. And would you consider sending $20.00 – just the cost of a cup of coffee a day – to the Walsh family so that they can buy the necessary vaccines and snake venom antidotes that they need to continue their ministry?

They never did a slide show on the Stewart family that took a rejuvenating vacation to Cabo that summer after a long year of being a soccer mom and VP of sales at Qualcom. They didn’t talk about how great it was that the Stewarts flew first class and ate at five-star dining establishments in an effort to enjoy themselves and the beauty of the world around them. (Unless, of course, the Stewarts spent their time in Cabo passing out tracks and reciting the sinner’s prayer with other beach goers on vacation. Then they might get a nod from the pastor).

In fact, as a child I was often able to detect a hint of disdain from the pulpit for families like the Stewart’s. It seemed that I was warned against this kind of hedonism, this blatant soothing of the flesh that has no reward in heaven. “Do not build up your treasures here on earth,” “do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit,” “no one should seek out his own good but the good of others,” etc. I was groomed to be a martyr, to care more about others than myself, to feel guilty every time I walked past a homeless man without offering him my last silver coins. I was taught that by choosing a cup of coffee instead of sending my allowance to Peru, I was choosing to let children die.

So, fast forward 10, 20 years and here I am, still wrestling with my guilt over buying my venti iced coffee instead of sending $29.99 to end genocide in Darfur. And I’m serious, folks. I feel like I am choosing to let children die every time I enjoy that sweet, milky coffee that seems to switch me from off to on every morning. How could I be so selfish, the preacher’s voice inside my head asks? How could you deny Jesus in this way? How could you care more about your own comfort over the lives of dying women and children in Darfur?

I used to listen to this voice religiously. Out of a tremendous sense of responsibility for the world’s poor and sick and hungry, I sent my money to Compassion and Amnesty and the Red Cross. I ate a completely vegan diet for two years when I realized how the raising of farm animals devastated the earth and its resources. I’ve lobbied congress, sent letter to my senators, complained on the White House comment line. I became a social worker and a foster parent to rescue abused children. I only buy clothing made in the US in order to prevent the proliferation of sweat shops… but I still feel guilty. I still feel guilty for the amount of water I waste every day, for spending $25.00 on a pretty shower curtain, for wanting to give birth to another child instead of preferring to adopt one. I feel guilty for having what I have and for wanting more. I feel guilty for taking up space on the planet at all.

I’m tired of feeling bad for enjoying a cup of coffee. I want to be done with the anxiety that comes along with this tremendous sense of over-responsibility and I am ready to embrace the beauty of the world around me without apologizing for my first-class plane ticket. But I don’t know how yet.

Perhaps there is a clue to this issue of suffixes in the question written on the slap bracelet I used to wear so proudly: What Would Jesus Do? This always seemed like an easy question: give your stuff away, die for each other, turn the other cheek, become a doormat, etc. But maybe this isn’t accurate at all. Perhaps I had Jesus all wrong. As I recall, he did put Judas in his place when Judas chastised the woman for “wasting” expensive perfume on Jesus’s feet. Judas argued that the money could have been used for the poor, but Jesus told him, “There will always be poor, but I won’t be around long. Enjoy me while I’m here.”

So, what would Jesus do? Seems to me that he might just order the venti iced coffee, and add a blueberry scone to go with it. He might even have done so in designer sandals. Maybe there is a way to enjoy the bounty and beauty of this life without feeling guilty, without feeling as if I’m stealing from the poor. Maybe.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow... thank you. for your honesty, for your thoughts. i love it. seriously. you have an amazing heart. -luv jenna

Amy said...

Amber I love your honesty. I struggle with this too at times. I just bought a pair of walking shoes (I only own flip-flops, dress shoes and clod-hoppers). I bought I nice pair, a $70 pair. Because my knees have started hurting if I don't have the proper arch support. Now there are women in Africa who don't wear shoes at all and their feet always hurt from the many miles they travel every day. Should I feel guilty about that? I don't know.

I think the fact that you are very aware of others and their needs speaks volumes from your heart. Just continue to be aware, continue to do what you can, but also enjoy your life- God gave it to you to enjoy! Everything in moderation babe!

Leslie said...

Awesome, Amber.

I go through the same feelings. In fact, I actually harbor resentment towards those missionaries who are wearing hand-me-down clothing and living in a one room apartment, all for the sake of Jesus. I don't think Jesus specifically asked us to shop at the Salvation Army and buy used toys at garage sales all for the sake of the gospel. If you ask me, it's all bells and whistles.

You can pray for the people in Darfur in your living room. It's just as effective. I have to believe that God wants our HEARTS, not our DEEDS.

And I agree with Amy in that your concern and awareness is based on your very sensitive and pliable heart.

So, I raise my cup of milky coffee to yours!

Anonymous said...

Hi Amber...it's sp!c....Traci told me she got ahold of you via email...it's awesome to hear from you. I am enjoying reading through your blogs.

I just wanted to tell you on this one blog that you posted...there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ. You really shouldn't feel bad (aka condemned) about living and being part of the wealthiest and most wasteful society in the history of the world. Don't let your mind trick you into it....coming from Mexico :) I understand and struggled with the dilema my first year here in the states...There is freedom in Christ. At the end of the day, when we get to heaven our father will ask us if we have been a good servant. In Christ only obedience matters....

Anyways, I got all preachy....I hate that.....just trying to share my experience and 2 cents.

Keep in touch...come visit us to Cincinnati..