Thursday, May 10, 2007

Dear Diary...


More from my beloved junior high diaries...

1/3/1990 (age 14)

I didn't write on Christmas mainly cuz I didn't have my diary. I left it at Carrie's and I spent the night at G-ma Kay's cuz I was sick.

Well, anyways, I got lots (underlined) of stuff: roller skates, LA Gear shoes, Colors perfume, new night gown, robe, slippers, nutcracker (Grandma gave me that plus book stands), new shirts, potpourri burner, gloves, socks and undies, Michael W. Smith tape, Amy Grant tape, and a pretty cow shirt.

February 5, 1990

On Friday, the 3rd, Ruth Obregon invited me and Amber Rady and Rachelle Smith and Shay Nelson and Marlena Jones to go to a Bible study at her house. Amber couldn't go, but everyone else did.

I went home with Ruthie after school, and we stayed at school after school and we watched the games and hung around.

The Bible study was really good. Ruth talked on secular rock-music. It was a lot of fun and the praying was real emotional. Shay is having some problems with Bethany Anderson, but I'm not sure what they are. She started crying when we prayed for her.

After the Bible study we went to Josh Floro's house and Jeremy Clookie was there. We played games and did the Jane Fonda workout. We wrestled, although Josh's dad told us not to. I can't believe how much fun I had. I had a BLAST (underlined). We stayed there until 11:00pm, and then they took us home.

I spent the night at Ruth's and then in the morning she had to get tutored in history by Mrs. Campbell for history. I had to go with her, but it was actually kinda fun.

Well, nothing really happened today. We had communion in church today. I wish Nathan, Corey, and I got along a little better. I hate the fights, hard feelings, tears, etc., that goes on. I try, but it never works. I just wish we were all a little more Christian-like.

8 comments:

Melissavina said...

I can't tell you how much I love your diary posts. Why? Cuz they remind me of what I used to write. I'll have to go and find some of my old classics. What Michael W. Smith tape was it? I'll bet I had the same one.

And I'm glad you got the chance to discuss secular rock music. I think the teens these days should take a good look at what the devil is pumping through their ipod headphones. Backmasking anyone?

p.s. Nate's hair is particularly fabulous in that photo.

amber. said...

Melissa,

I believe it was the ever classic "Go West Young Man," by far the best MWS album ever.

You know what I immediately am reminded of? That music video of the crucifixion that was set to one of MWS's songs? Secret Ambition? It was played at every youth group event for, like, the entire 90's decade.

A little unknown fact: Ruthie was another 8th grader, just like me, who was always planning these bible studies that would meet after school or during lunch. One time she asked me to speak at one of them and I felt SO honored. I spent the entire night before preparing a little sermon, pouring over various Christian devotionals and Bible passages to find quotes and ideas... Let's just say it was the best lunch time sermon on the evils of gossip ever.

p.s. Nate's hair IS totally awesome! Tubular, even.

Melissavina said...

Amber:
I had that same album, and endured the sorrow of watching that video at every camp/event my youth group put on. I'm imagining there was a great sigh of relief from all youth pastors of the 90's once that video was released. They no longer had to come up with any heart-wrenching emotion tuggers on their own.

I wish I could have been there for your sermon. I probably would have been a semi-regular attendee of Ruthie's Jesus Club.

And the prayer request vs. gossip issue was hot back then. Do you suppose it still is? I was constantly guilty of voicing "prayer requests" for my friends who were making out with non-Christians and smoking cigarettes.

Leslie said...

Oh, heavens..."Go West Young Man"!! Not only did I possess the TAPE, I had (and still have!) the sheet music because I played some of those songs on the piano.

Mmmhmmm. Never did have LA Gear shoes, though...you were a lot cooler than I.

amber. said...

Ohmygod, Melissa, Yes! I forgot about the gossip disguised as prayer requests! Or, even better, the pray-while-you-gossip mode...

"Dear Lord Jesus, we thank you for today, and we thank you that Josh and Stacy finally broke up because Stacy was always really mean to him and she kissed Jason while they were going out and never told him but his friend Drew told Josh that he thought Stacy was cheating on him but Josh didn't believe him, Lord Jesus. We just pray that you'll send your angels of comfort to be with Josh right now and that you'll convict the heart of Stacy, Lord, that she might turn to you in this time and change her ways. In Jesus name, Amen!"

Oh, and Leslie, I don't think you want to admit to anyone, ever again, that you own the sheet music to anything Michael W Smith. Or Sandy Patty. Or the Altar Boys.

Leslie said...

How about Amy Grant? Or anything Maranatha? How about my 3rd grade church musical, "Angels Aware", or my 8th grade musical, "Shortstops"?

Oh, sick. I'm grossing myself out now. Time to do some spring cleaning.

The Momma Giraffe said...

Oh my gosh...LA Gear sneakers. What flashbacks that brings to mind.
I love your blog and I wish I was half the writer you are!!!
And, I had 'Go West Young Man' too...

Anonymous said...

i don't think i've ever seen a "pretty cow shirt"!